For the fourth consecutive year, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, claimed the number one spot in the annual honor roll of best top hospital published today by US News & World Report. Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston holds the number two spot this year (up from number four last year) in the magazine’s annual honor roll; which highlights hospitals delivering “exceptional treatment across multiple areas of care.”
Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, holds the number three spot again this year; hence while the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio falls two spots from number two to number four on the list. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Columbia and Cornell in New York City made the biggest jump this year, grabbing the number five spot on the ranking, up from number 10 in last year’s ranking. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles and UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco flipped positions this year, with UCLA at number six and UCSF at number seven.
The top hospital
Rounding out the top 10 (in order) are Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles; NYU Langone Hospitals, New York City; Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois. So 2019–2020 Best Hospitals Honor Roll.
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
- Cleveland Clinic, Ohio
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital–Columbia and Cornell, New York City
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
- NYU Langone Hospitals, New York, New York City
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
- University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
- Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Palo Alto, California
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City
- UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh
- Keck Hospital of USC, Los Angeles
- University of Wisconsin Hospitals, Madison
- (tie) Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
- (tie) Mayo Clinic-Phoenix
- (tie) Houston Methodist Hospital, Texas
- (tie) Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut
“In the three decades since US News began evaluating hospitals; so they periodically have revamped our measures to enhance the decision support our rankings and ratings provide to patients,” Ben Harder, managing editor and chief of health analysis at the magazine, said in a statement. “This year they revise the methodology to incorporate new measures of patient centered care; also to enhance how we account for differences in hospitals’ patient populations.
The new model provides a more comprehensive assessment that is useful; hence to patients, families, and their medical professionals.” Due to the changes in methodology this year; so US News advises against making comparisons to past numerical ranks. The 2019–2020 rankings compared more than 4500 hospitals across 25 specialties, procedures, and conditions.
This year, 165 hospitals were nationally rank in at least one specialty (compared to 158 last year); also 569 hospitals were ranked among the best regional hospitals in a state or metro area; so base on their performance in delivering complex and common care. In the 2019–2020 Best Hospitals: Specialty Rankings, as was the case for the prior 3 years; so the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center holds the number one spot in cancer, the Cleveland Clinic is number one in cardiology and heart surgery; also the Hospital for Special Surgery is number one in orthopedics.