New research from the University of Queensland has been shown for the first time that visual hallucinations in people with macular degeneration are associated with abnormally heightened activity in the visual cortex of the brain
All news from Ophthalmology
As the prevalence of maternal and fetal disease increases and increases the health of the patient. 39 weeks , induction of labor at 39 weeks has been proposed as a means to ensure optimal maternal and newborn health
Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is overexpressed and considered as a proper molecular target for diagnosis and targeted therapy of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC)
The cerebellum, a structure found in the back of the skull, is known to be important for the control of movement, while the frontal cortex is responsible for cognitive functions such as short-term memory and decision making. However, as the scientists continue to unlock the mystery of how billions of neurons in the brain interact, it is becoming more apparent that it is not that black and white
For patients undergoing cardiac surgery that involves cardiopulmonary bypass who are at high risk for perioperative mortality, a restrictive red blood cell transfusion strategy lowers the need for transfusion without increasing the incidence of acute kidney injury, new research shows
Among the many approaches and treatment combinations available for men with high-risk localized prostate cancer , the optimal strategy remains to be determined, according to results of a new systematic review
Among men who have sex with men, ‘pre-exposure prophylaxis’, or PrEP, has apparently led to a fall in condom use. Condoms, 100% of the time: that was the HIV-prevention policy Adam MacLean, 36, observed with casual male partners ever since he came out in 1999.
Allowing sunlight in through windows can kill bacteria that live in dust, according to a study published in the open access journal Microbiome. Researchers at the University of Oregon found that in dark rooms 12% of bacteria on average were alive and able to reproduce (viable). In comparison only 6.8% of bacteria exposed to daylight and 6.1% of bacteria exposed to UV light were viable.
Scientists at the Center for Infection and Immunity (CII) in the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health have developed the first diagnostic platform that can simultaneously screen for all human pathogenic bacteria as well as markers for virulence and antibiotic resistance. A study in the journal mBio provides details on the performance of the BacCapSeq platform.
US health regulators have approved the first new type of flu drug in decades. Approval of Xofluza for people age 12 and older comes ahead of the brunt of this winter's flu season. Xofluza is a pill that can reduce the severity and shorten duration of flu symptoms after one just dose. It was developed by the Roche Group and Shionogi & Co. It works about as well as Tamiflu, Roche's older flu treatment, which is also available in cheaper generic versions. Tamiflu is taken twice daily for five days.
Imaging technology that detects deadly pneumonia infections in under 60 seconds is safe and practical for clinical use, a study has found. Tests on patients with suspected infections found the approach could detect bacteria deep inside the lung where other technologies fail to reach. The research is published in the journal Science Translational Medicine .
By the age of 65, at least half of us will suffer from two or more long-term diseases. And the chance of having multi-morbidity, as it is known, increases with age. Only 9% of people with coronary heart disease have no other condition. The other 91% have various combinations of hypertension (high blood pressure), heart failure, stroke, diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, depression, dementia, chronic kidney disease and so on.